Student Support Services

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a type of health insurance that international students need if granted a study visa in Australia. OSHC pays part or all of the cost if you need to visit a doctor, go to hospital, need an ambulance, or need to buy pharmacy medicines.

International students must have OSHC insurance as a condition of their student visa. This is because you cannot access our public health system, and need to insure privately to pay for healthcare.  

Fees and costs:  Premium is from $522 per year, but can differ if you buy multiple years cover. Please also see our Fees table.


  1. Australian Health Management
  2. Bupa Australia (SSBT provider of choice)
  3. Medibank
  4. Allianz Global Assistance (subcontracted by Lysaght Peoplecare)
  5. NIB

Access OSHC quotes: Canstar online.

Documentation to Prepare

There are many things to do to prepare your documents for online application:

  • Non-English documents must be translated into English. If you are in Australia, your translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. If you are outside Australia, contact the Australian mission (in the country that issued the documents) for a translator.
  • Scan all documents – both non-English documents and translated documents.
  • Attach scanned copies to your online application when asked.
  • Provide certified copies of your documents.
  • Submit all documents with your application or your application could be refused or a decision on your visa could be delayed.