Student Support Services

Students under 18

If you are under 18 years of age and applying for a student visa, you need to have adequate welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia.

If you will turn 18 before you arrive in Australia, you will not need to put welfare arrangements in place but you must still fill out Form 157N Nomination of a student guardian (178KB PDF) and complete questions 1 to 8 to go with the Student Visa. Your parent or legal custodian must sign the form.

If you will be under 18 when you are in Australia, you must do one of the following:

  • Nominate a parent / legal custodian or a relative over 21 years as your student guardian. This person must have a visa to remain in Australia for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18. Use Form 157N Nomination of a student guardian (178KB PDF).
  • Provide evidence that a parent / legal custodian or relative over 21 years will accompany you as a Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) holder. This person must apply for the visa and attach Form 157N Nomination of a student guardian (178KB PDF) with their application.
  • Organise for your education provider to approve your welfare arrangements. The provider will issue a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter. The provider will tell us when your welfare arrangements start and end.
  • Provide your Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form if you are a secondary exchange student.

You must have welfare arrangements in place until you turn 18, even if this is before your course commences.  

Students Under 18 Accommodation

Form: Younger Student Accomodation 

If you are applying for a student visa from within Australia, the adequate welfare arrangements condition still applies.

Please read the details at: :