Student Visa

Student Visa Conditions

To hold a student visa, international students must abide by its conditions. Failure to comply with these conditions may result in the cancellation of your visa. The primary conditions mean you must:

  • Satisfy course progress requirements, including maintaining attendance and maintain a valid enrolment for your chosen course of study.
  • Only work if you have been given permission to do so as part of your visa grant.
  • Maintain approved Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while in Australia.
  • Notify SSBT of your Australian address and any subsequent changes of address within 7 days.
  • Complete the course within the duration specified in the CoE.
  • Remain with SSBT for at least 6 months (or the duration of the course if less than this period) unless you are issued with a release from SSBT to attend another institution.

In some circumstances, we’re required to report breaches of Student Visa conditions to the Department of Home Affairs. All International students should read the Department of Home Affairs website – it provides information on the conditions of Student Visas, as well as forms and other information.

If you haven’t yet been granted a student visa, please see applying for a Student Visa.

Applying for a Student Visa

After you are accepted into a place at SSBT and well before you plan to go, you will need to apply for a Student Visa.

You must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) with your visa application. If you are doing more than one course, then include the CoE of each.

The current fee from Home Affairs for Student Visa (sub-class 500) is AUD 575.

Students under 18, please read the related page, as you must have welfare arrangements in place.

Genuine temporary entrant.   You must be a genuine temporary entrant, and not be intending to stay on in Australia after studies cease.

English. You might need to provide some evidence of your English skills with your visa application, but check the Document Checklist tool (link below) to find out. If you are required to submit evidence of English language skill, then see this English language test score page for the accepted level.

IMPORTANT:  Use the interactive Document Checklist tool to find out exactly what you need to include. See the latest checklist at Home Affairs.

Processing times for the vocational education Student Visa is: 35 – 55 days.


Financial Capacity

You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you, to pay for course fees, travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while in Australia. See our Minimum Living Costs table.

We expect that most international students will need to show that they have at least 12 months of funds available.

    • Provide evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months living, course and schooling costs for student plus accompanying family members
    • If coming to Australia for a short course, you will only need to show evidence of funds for the intended period of stay.

You can choose to support these minimums with part-time jobs, but should not be reliant on finding this work in Australia. 

Cost of Living Minimum Example

Expense Approximate

Yearly cost

Food for one $5,200

Medical (OSHC) $522

Accommodation (e.g. Homeshare) $11,695

Travel – public transport $1,440

Clothing, shoes, personal care $1,000

Total – minimum of $20,290

Plus: airfare, tuition fees, books, etc.

The minimum 12-month living cost funds of $20,290 for students and $7,100 extra for spouses was assessed by the Department of Home Affairs on February 2018.